Digital and physical Security Resources
Today the internet presents numbers of opportunities to nations including but not limited to connecting people and places, conducting businesses, promotion of transparency and accountability, freedom of expression and other democratic values.
Whereas it is a right of anyone to connect on the internet, many Individuals in the Great Lakes region of Africa have limited knowledge about the existing protection mechanism while connected onto the internet. This has exposed many to various online attacks such as hacking, spam, phishing, pharming and mass surveillance by state and non-state actors.
It is against this background that the Albertine Watch has scheduled to share digital
security manuals and resources which can help Human Rights activists, Journalists, and the general public to enable them to undertake precautionary measures against online attacks.
The Resources have been carefully sourced from our International and National trusted partners working to advance the use of Technology in Defense of Human Rights and Democracy.
The Digital First Aid Kit is a collaborative effort of EFF, Global Voices, Hivos & the Digital Defenders Partnership, Front Line Defenders, Internews, Freedom House, Access, VirtualRoad.org, CIRCL, IWPR, Open Technology Fund and individual security experts who are working in the field of digital security and rapid response.
Security-in-a-box offers step-by-step instructions to help you install and use the most essential digital security software and services. Security-in-a-box also provides tactics and advice on how to use social networking platforms and mobile phones more safely.
Tactical Technology collective made some major updates to a component of Security-in-a-box called the ‘Tactics Guides’, covering topics such as how to keep your mobile secure, creating and maintaining strong passwords and staying private online. They have also been translated into Russian, Arabic, and Indonesian.
The Updated Tactics Guides;
– Protect your device from malware and phishing attacks https://securityinabox.org/en/
– Protect your information from physical threats https://securityinabox.org/en/
– Create and maintain strong passwords https://securityinabox.org/en/
– Keep your digital communication private https://securityinabox.org/en/
– Remain anonymous and bypass censorship on the Internet https://securityinabox.org/en/
– Use your smartphone as securely as possible https://securityinabox.org/en/
Advocacy Assembly is a free learning community for human rights activists and journalists. The platform is the brainchild of London based non-for-profit organization Small Media who designed and built it in 2015. They are in charge of the platform’s maintenance and security.
But the platform does not belong to one organization, instead, it is a collaborative space where training organizations from around the world can upload their best training material and reach new audiences. The first organizations who signed up to the platform and produced courses for it were: Rory Peck Trust, City University New York, School of Data and of course Small Media.
Advocacy Assembly has its own small dedicated team that runs the website, coordinate content production with all training partners and promote the platform via Facebook, Twitter, and our newsletter, they are based in London, UK.
Human Centred Design Toolkit is a global design Company Committed to creating positive impact.
AxCrypt is the leading open source file encryption software for Windows. It integrates seamlessly with Windows to compress, encrypt, decrypt, store, send and work with individual files.
USABLE is building a global feedback loop connecting at-risk communities with digital security trainers, usability experts, and security tool developers, bringing a human-centered design approach to digital security software supporting vulnerable populations around the world.
A project of Defenders Protection Initiative which map Incidence Report of human rights violation committed against Human Rights Defenders.
A referral pathways by Defenders Protection Initiative which make it easier for human rights defenders to submit case reports from anywhere directly to the Concern Parties.
9. Safe Tag
Security Auditing Framework and Evaluation Template for Advocacy Groups. It’s a professional audit Framework that adapts traditional penetration testing and risk assessment methodologies to be relevant to smaller nonprofit organizations based or operating in the developing world.
10. The digital security training syllabus
Digital security for All- Security First http://digitalsecurityforall.org/
11. Proton Mail
Pron Mail is an End to End Encryption Email service which is safe and secure for activists, journalists, and human rights defenders. Messages between ProtonMail users are also transmitted in encrypted form within a secure server network. Because data is encrypted at all steps, the risk of message interception is largely eliminated.
A community of passionate individuals whose purpose is to revolutionize software design, creation, and delivery, while advocating for positive social change.
Inter News is an International non-profit organization that works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure and rewarding lives.
DefendDefenders is the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project. They seek to strengthen the work of human rights defenders HRDs throughout the region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders works in Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (together with Somali land), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Civil Rights Defenders is an independent expert organisation founded in Stockholm in 1982 with the aim of defending human rights, in particular people’s civil and political rights. We also support and empower human rights defenders at risk on four continents.
Born in 2009, a Human Rights Technological Organisation working with civil society, freedom of speech and Internet security, formed what today is VirtualRoad.org.
The Digital Defenders Partnership (DDP) started late 2012 by the Freedom Online Coalition (FOC) to advance Internet freedom and to keep the internet open and free from emerging threats, specifically in internet repressive and transitional environments. The program increases and better coordinates emergency support for the internet’s critical users, such as bloggers, cyber activists, journalists, human rights defenders, and other civil society activists, through Grant making and Linking & Learning activities.
The Open Technology Fund utilizes available funds to support Internet freedom projects that empower world citizens to have access to modern communication channels that are free of restrictions, and allow them to communicate without fear of repressive censorship or surveillance.
The Unwanted Witness is a civil society organization (CSO) that was established to respond to the gap in effective communication using various online expression platforms.
Unwanted Witness was established in 2012 by a group of netizens, bloggers, activists, writers and human rights defenders as an independent, non-partisan and not for profit civil society organization. It seeks to create secure uncensored online platforms for activists, netizens, bloggers, freelance journalists and writers to promote human rights through writing and informing, educating the citizenry who also utilize the platform for strengthening free expression and demand for accountability.
DPI is a National Organization which offer support to Human Rights Defenders in the area of Digital and Physical security, psycho-social support, advocacy, capacity building, and referral services. It also links Human Rights Defenders at risk with potential International Partners that redress Human Rights Defenders cases.
Investigation and Research tools
10 Investigative Tools You Probably Haven’t Heard of https://gijn.org/2018/08/28/10-investigative-tools-you-probably-havent-heard-of/
Effective Google Searching
- Advanced search http://www.google.com/advanced_search
- Translated search http://www.google.com/language_tools
- Advanced News Search http://www.google.com/news/advanced_news_search
- Search Wikileaks.org https://search.wikileaks.org/
- Hathi Trust Digital Library: https://www.hathitrust.org
- Search inside the book: Amazon, Google Books, Internet Archive
- Journal TOCs http://www.journaltocs.hw.ac.uk
- BASE-search https://www.base-search.net/Search/Advanced
- EMM NewsBrief: http://emm.newsbrief.eu
- Arachnys http://www.arachnys.com
Find a person
- InfoBel: http://www.infobel.com/en/world
- Numberway http://www.numberway.com/
- LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com
- CLEAR http://clearhq.org/Directory
- Salary database from PIBuzz http://pibuzz.com/government-salaries/
- FAA https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/ Margot‘s Google Docexample
Web & Social Media
- Verification Handbook for Investigative Reporting http://verificationhandbook.com/book2/chapter1.php
- New: Net Data Directory http://netdatadirectory.org
- Whois http://whoisrequest.org http://whois.domaintools.com
- Find Facebook ID http://netbootcamp.org/facebook.html
- Facebook graph search (Henk Van Ess) http://www.graph.tips
- ICIJ Panama Papers-Offshore Leaks Databases http://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search
- Investigative Dashboard (OCCRP) http://www.investigativedashboard.org/
- OpenCorporates https://opencorporates.com
- Building database: Emporis http://www.emporis.com/buildings
- Commercial real estate: LoopNet http://www.loopnet.com
- Guidestar US Form 990s http://www.guidestar.org
- Luke Rosiak’s Citizen Audit https://www.citizenaudit.org
- ProPublica Non-profit Explorer http://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/
- org http://opencharities.org/
- Global Think Tank Directory http://www.gotothinktank.com/
- Uganda Registration Service Bureau https://ursb.go.ug/
Data and Statistics